Eating fruit and veg with each meal, and as a healthier snack in-between, is a great way to get your 5 a day.
Easy breakfast tips
- Add chopped, dried apricots and a sliced, fresh banana to your breakfast cereal.
- For a healthier cooked breakfast, grill tomatoes, mushrooms or peppers and serve with beans on toast.
- If you’re in a rush, pick up a fruit smoothie with an apple or banana to eat while you’re on the go.
5 A Day lunches
- For a zingy, healthy filling for a sandwich or wrap, mix tomato slices, mango chunks and creamy avocado.
- Try eating more veggie-rich soups: whizz up our spicy carrot & coriander soup or try a ready-made soup.
5 A Day evening meals
- Grate a courgette and stir tinned beans into your chilli, cottage pie, stew or curry.
- Double up on veg: swap mashed potato for parsnip and swede mash or carrot and butternut squash mash.
- For a quick dessert, mix defrosted berries with half-fat crème fraîche or low-fat yogurt.
Help kids to eat 5 A Day
Kids will love 5 A Day that’s fun! Let them sprinkle sultanas and berries over cereal or yogurt, or for a sweet treat, dip apple slices in a little fromage frais.
Whizz their favourite fruits with semi-skimmed milk and enjoy fruity shakes through colourful straws, or make pancakes and pack them with strawberries.
Fresh fruit and vegetables
Get tips for storing food and find out how to freeze healthier homebaking so it stays fresh for longer:
Did you know…
- According to the Department of Health, eating 5 portions of fruit and veg a day can lower the risk of certain diseases.
- Try to eat at least 3 portions of veg and 2 portions of fruit every day.
- If you want to ripen a firm avocado, pop it in a bag with a banana – they’re great for ripening other fruit.