Pick up tricks for midweek meals and make weekend treats healthier for your kids. They’ll love easy banana ice-cream and our sneaky sausage rolls…
- These useful kids’ lunchbox ideas are great for school days. Have a go at these quick ham & cheese pinwheels.
- Cut sandwiches into shapes using biscuit cutters, or turn cheese, veg and fruit into stars, hearts or animal characters that appeal to younger kids.
Secret way to 5-a-day
- Sneak fruit and veg into dishes that kids already love. Try grated courgette in this muffin recipe, or carrot into these sausage and vegetable rolls.
- Freeze ripe bananas and blitz for silky smooth banana ice-cream. Add a little peanut butter or trickle of honey for extra texture and flavour.
- Tropical fruit kebabs will get kids eating their 5 a day. Just spear tinned pineapple chunks, fresh grapes or seasonal fruit onto skewers.
- For quick-fix, healthier treats when the whole family is on the move, pack yogurt tubes or basics oat and raisin cereal bars.
Cut back on salt
More than 75% of the salt we consume comes from processed foods. Choose sandwich fillings with less salt, such as chicken or tuna, and replace salty crisps with reduced-salt snacks.