Poppy Appeal 2016
Sainsbury’s & The Royal British Legion
We’ve been proud supporters of the Royal British Legion for 22 years.This year we are delighted to support the Royal British Legion and its sister charity Poppyscotland through a number of different activities.
Poppy Appeal donations
The donations that will be made during Poppy Appeal 2016 will help the charity provide vital support to service personnel, veterans and their families. Each week, the Royal British Legion spends £1.2m providing vital care to serving personnel, veterans and their loved ones. 45 million poppies have been created for this year’s Poppy Appeal.
Last year our customers generously donated over £19,000 to the Poppy Appeal through online poppies. One of the first online grocery orders for stick-on poppies was delivered by veteran and beneficiary of the Royal British Legion, Mark Stonelake.
Our poppy inspired product range
This year we have a new range of Poppy inspired merchandise. All profits from this merchandise will be donated to the Royal British Legion and Poppyscotland.
Per item, the minimum donation amount for items this year are:
- 30p from each £3 poppy key ring
- 40p from each £4 poppy tote bag
- 50p from each £4 poppy print tea towel
- 50p from each £5 poppy travel mug
- 40p from each £4 poppy fine china mug
- 40p from each £4 poppy large mug
All profits are donated to Royal British Legion Trading Limited which gives its taxable profits to The Royal British Legion (Charity no. 219279) and Poppyscotland (Scottish Charity No. SC014096) and a company limited by guarantee (registered in Scotland No. 194893).
Recycling your poppy
This year once again you can make your donation go further by recycling your poppy in all of our stores, after Remembrance Sunday. Use the recycling boxes on our customer service desks from 14 – 27 November 2016 and The Royal British Legion will re-use or recycle your poppy.
* In June 2011, The Royal British Legion merged with Poppyscotland to form the largest charity group supporting the Armed Forces community across the whole of the UK. Poppyscotland operates as a distinct charity within the Legion’s group of charities, and is responsible for running the Scottish Poppy Appeal, which raises over £2m each year.